No Flowers Please!

I sincerely ask that no flowers be sent. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers. If you must make a special gesture, please donate a small sum to the Pat-the-Nurse fund at Northern Arizona University. This fund will help student nurses buy their books and it is a tax deduction for you!

Send to:
Northern Arizona Unversity
Pat-the-Nurse Scholarship Fund
C/O Connie Ott
PO BOX 15015
Flagstaff, AZ 86001


Monday, June 29, 2009

Respite, Redondo and Crumb Cake

The last week has been a respite from cancer. No treatments, only one doctor's appointment and everything healing well, the hematoma in my right breast seems to be resolving. I am working four hours a day from home and enjoying that very much.

I spent the weekend in nice cool Redondo and Corey and I catalogued and organized all the DVD's here. (He has so many we couldn't find anything and they were all over.) We had fun mostly doing nothing.

Looking forward to another peaceful week in which nothing reminds me or anyone else that I have breast cancer and then my family joins us in Redondo beginning Thursday to celebrate the 4th. Until then I am working on my gluten free cake and bread recipes so I can make something special for Courtney. Here is a recipe for a gluten free cinnamon crumb cake that I have nailed (if I do say so myself).

Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Batter:
2/3 cup milk ( room temp)
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( walnuts or pecans)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar

Icing Ingredients:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk - enough to make icing easy to drizzle

Batter:
Add yeast to milk - stir until dissolve. Cream butter and sugar together. Pour yeast/milk mixture into sugar and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir together until blended then pour into buttered pan ( about 8 X8 or 9X9). Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about 1 hours.

Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 375. Cool for 10 minutes. While cake is cooling mix together icing ingredients and after 10 minutes drizzle the icing over the top of the cake.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a fave of mine and Zebs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help! I'm very interested in the gluten free recipe, but am not sure where the batter ingredients end and the crumb topping begins. Would you please clarifiy?

    Leslie Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - I didn't realize look at the blog after I posted and it didn't post like I wrote it. Check it out now

    ReplyDelete