No Flowers Please!

I sincerely ask that no flowers be sent. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers. If you must make a special gesture, please donate a small sum to the Pat-the-Nurse fund at Northern Arizona University. This fund will help student nurses buy their books and it is a tax deduction for you!

Send to:
Northern Arizona Unversity
Pat-the-Nurse Scholarship Fund
C/O Connie Ott
PO BOX 15015
Flagstaff, AZ 86001


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Month Anniversary

Today is my one month anniversary of knowing that I have cancer. Yesterday, I chose a new team member, my radiation oncologist. His name is Dr. Robert Kuske and I liked him. He is one of the innovators of partial breast radiation which I am planning on having unless something new pops during surgery on Friday.

Dr. Kuske's gut feeling is that my cancer is still in situ which means it has not invaded the surrounding cells and remains inside the milk duct. This has been the question that has plagued the doctors since I was diagnosed. Some indicators seemed to show that in my case the cancer had invaded other cells - when this happens it is called invasive cancer. Each indicator has turned out to be negative in my case. The last test will be the nearest axillary lymph nodes to the cancer sites which will be tested during surgery and I should have final results of that next Wednesday.

If I have invasive cancer then I need to have more extensive chemotherapy along with the radiation and medications to block the estrogen and progesterone. If the cancer remains in situ then I will have radiation and medications to block the estrogen and progesterone only.

Trivia: in situ is from the Latin term which means in it's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment